Quotes

As I grow, I learn and as I learn, I grow
...Towards Becoming a Beautiful Soul

Search This Blog

Thursday 18 April 2013

WHAT TRIGGERED FIRE IN THE BELLY?


STORY BEHIND 'FIRE IN THE BELLY' 'A PLAY'

So, yesterday, someone asked me; 'What triggered you to write 'Fire in the Belly'?'

Answer:

About 2 years ago, I was at a very typical village in the North with my dad (May Allah have mercy on his soul), that was my first time of being there. It was in the month of Ramadan. The only nice building in the house we were residing in was the room my dad and I were given (even that ? lol). And the only nice buildings in the village was their overly big Masjid and their humble looking school. It didn't look like they cared much about Ramadan. You don't see anyone fasting and even doing the five daily prayers. Some of their traditions, questionable if you are a Muslim. And then you can see real poverty in display. Now, my dad and I are having one of our usual chats and he begins reflecting on how pathetic their lifestyles were. I remember the sister of our host complaining to him about something and he told her; 'Yes, you people don't even do the five daily sualaat so how do you expect Allah to help you' and the woman had told him to get her a Juz Amma the next time he comes there (She is dead too, may Allah swt have mercy upon them.) I also remember him telling one of the kids who was looking like he had just come out of a very dirty place to go and have a bath and the boy had told him that he had just finished bathing... Subhaanal Laah! You should see this boy. And then my dad had given him money to go and barber his hair. So, my dad was very devastated by their lifestyle and then pondering on that with me, he raised a very important issue of some of our people in our area who are just misusing funds that are given to them to help people such as those in this village. You won't believe that even the Imam, who is blind, also had such a bad tajweed and all. Not even 1% of the Mosque gets full for prayers due to how big the Masjid is and how the people don't care about sualaat. So my dad recalls someone who takes pictures and videos of elderly people (who are more than capable of fending for themselves and their families) after he had given them some food item in order to use it for getting funds (Since he'd probably tell the philanthropists that they are his orphans or people he is helping and all). He told me of an incident where he had entered a Masjid and seen the elderly in the Masjid sitting in a circle with 'kalyppo' and something else like this in front of them and people were taking videos of that. And many other stories of course. And funny enough, this sometimes doesn't come doing iftaar time but after Magrib when it will be announced that the elderly should not leave because there is something for them but no child should dare stay back (Children who would have better enjoyed such treats instead). And it was a wonder to me and to my father especially that some of these people choose to do that in the Holy month of Ramadan when even the most messed up Muslim is trying to better the relationship between him or her and Allah swt. And then something that even marvelled me the most, he said he knows of some people who should know better yet they go to seek spiritual aid from some people so that those who are funding them will never suspect that they are only deceiving them. So to cut a long story short, I told him I wanted to write about it. Well, I remember the look he gave me. He knew his daughter was good but writing about something like this, how? Well, as I always have my notepad and pen with me, I began to think about it and put it down asking him questions and he answering... And then others helped me to add unto it. May Allah swt shower blessings upon blessings upon him. Ameen thumma ameen. May Allah swt continue to guide us against the evil of our inner selves and the evil of that which surrounds us and the evil of shaitaan. Ameen thumma ameen.

Rubaba M. R. Sabtiu


No comments: