Quotes

As I grow, I learn and as I learn, I grow
...Towards Becoming a Beautiful Soul

Search This Blog

Wednesday 16 April 2014

USE ME AS A TOOL





Bismil Laahir Rahmaanir Raheem!

Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatul Laah! Alhamdu lil Laah for favouring us with the blessing of Islam.

So, let me go straight to the point today. 

A question: When you pray to Allah, what do you ask of Him?

Do you ask Allah for wealth, children, a job, a spouse, etc? Well, as humans, we are always in need of something from our Creator and Owner. May He grant us that which will be beneficial for us in this Dunya and the Akhira. Aameen.

I once had the opportunity to talk with Dr Katumi Mahama (Do you know her? If you don’t, you might want to find her out) in her house for hours. A beautiful time full of lessons I had with her. She had described this woman who inspired this article as;

‘That woman has faith!’

And I wish I could write it the way she said it; with so much passion and a faraway look. She had gone on and on to tell me about the challenges this woman had been through and how she had witnessed her handle those tough times; with firm faith.

This woman (the inspirer of this article that is) tells me one day long after my encounter with Dr Katumi;

‘Just when I sensed that something bad had happened? I quickly climbed the stairs and went to offer two raka’at…’

That is just a minute bit of the faith this woman has and how she responded to her tests and trials in life. I have, since Dr Katumi had described her as a woman of faith come to witness this faith in her. She might not even have an idea just how much of that faith I see in her. I describe her as;

‘Faith walking.’

And indeed it is true because apart from her, I could say same about a number of people I’ve met. Some people blow your mind with their understanding and practice of the deen so much so that you begin to wonder what it is that you are doing in service of Allah Robbil Arshil Azeem. They are people we need to learn from in detail because serving Allah azza wa jal is the only means to true inner peace and contentment; this I say with certainty.

One day someone made a comment about the seemingly luxurious lives of these women especially this woman who inspired this write-up and I had told him;

‘If you knew this woman as I do, you will know that all of the luxuries you see her with do not go anywhere to define her nature.’

And I had truly wondered; the more reason why we should not judge a book by its cover.
Now, enough of that; that isn’t my interest in this article anyway. One day, at a Halal Talk with a couple of Muslim ladies, a lot of things had come up. We spoke on the issue of Role Modeling and Mentoring of the Muslimah and this woman (Hajia Samia, don’t worry if you don’t know her) was with us the younger ladies (And of course, just call her in the name of Allah and she is coming).

In the course of the talk she said;

‘For me, when I pray, I tell Allah: Use me as a tool.’

Now, wait and let it really seep in. How do you understand this du’a?

My Understanding of the Du’a

I understand this du’a in two ways;

1.      Use me to do your work

Imagine you wanted to cut some vegetables. You enter the kitchen, pick up the knife and start cutting the vegetables. In the end you get your cutting work done with the use of your tool; the knife. 

Allah, Al-Waahid, sent Messengers, Prophets, to teach the people His ways. The Messengers were the tools of Allah azza wa jal with which He does His work; teaching the Aalameen (all that exists) whom He is.

Praying to Allah azza wa jal to use one as a tool for me means that you want Him to use you to get His message across to people; Da’awah. So, would you make it your du’a? Ooooh that would be great! May Allah make it so for you. Aameen.

2.      Use me in any way you please

Let us go back to the knife again. You enter your kitchen, pick up your knife and decide to use it for whatever you want; cutting, stabbing (and what will you be stabbing? lol), etc.

A slave of Allah is totally content to be used in any way Allah azza wa jal pleases so far as he or she does not end up displeasing Allah. This is the aspect in which I see tests and trials of the slave. If Allah azza wa jal is using you as He pleases, He might hurt you in so many ways to see how you would respond as He says;

‘And We will surely test you with something of fear and hunger and a loss of wealth and lives and fruits, but give good tidings to the patient, who, when disaster strikes them, say, "Indeed we belong to Allah , and indeed to Him we will return."

Surah Al-Baqarah, the Cow, Chapter 2 ayah 155 and 156

A slave of Allah is however very determined to pass the tests and trials of Allah; from it the slave derives so much pleasure and contentment. 

The Prophet Muhammad suallal Laahu alayhi wa sallam said;

“How amazing is the affair of the believer. There is good for him in everything and that is for no one but the believer. If good times come his way, he expresses gratitude to Allah and that is good for him, and if hardship comes his way, he endures it patiently and that is better for him.”
[Muslim]

This Hadith says it all for my second understanding of the du’a; ‘Use me as a tool.’

What Kind of Tool are You?

Now, let us talk about you! What kind of a tool are you? Are you a positive tool or a negative one?

Positive and Negative Tool

The knife aids in dishes yet it could cause great destruction; it could even kill. Every human being has the potential of being a source of goodness. A Muslim could be an ambassador of Islam by portraying the right Islam to everyone. You could decide to subject yourself wholly to the sole purpose of your life; worship. That is the positive tool. May we be favoured with the blessing of being such tools. Aameen. You could do otherwise. You could decide to be that Muslim who lives exactly against the rules of Allah azza wa jal and make others believe that Islam is a bad religion. That is being a negative tool. May Allah safeguard us against that. Aameen.

From this woman I learn great lessons and I hope and pray that this du’a of hers has sent a positive message to you today. Taqabbalul Laahu minhaa (May Allah accept from her). Aameen.

May Allah use us as His tools and make us content with that. Aameen.

Never ever settle for a dead heart and remember to always take advantage of your life before your death to worship Allah subhaanahu wa ta’aalaa. I love you fiisabi lil Laah and may Allah love us more. Aameen.

Jazaakumul Laahu khair always!
Islam Forever in shaa Allah!
Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatul Laah!
Rubaba Mmahajia Rahma Sabtiu