Quotes

As I grow, I learn and as I learn, I grow
...Towards Becoming a Beautiful Soul

Search This Blog

Thursday 24 October 2013

EXCERPT FROM 'A LETTER TO THE MAKER OF LAWS'


THE PART I LOVE MOST IN THE BOOK; 'A Letter to the Maker of Laws.' Enjoy!!! Lengthy but I will appreciate it if you read and share;

IT GOES...

LAWYER MUSAH:
(Sadly) Was it Nabil who sent you the parcel?

ENGLISH TEACHER:
(Quiet for a while) That was what I thought at first but I was wrong. It was Fatimatu Zahra (They are both surprised).

MMA SAFIA NURSE:
Subhaanal Laah! Subhaanal Laah!

LAWYER MUSA:
(Tears in his eyes) Oh Allah! Which of the favours You have bestowed upon me would I deny? My little girl. My blessing. Alhamdu lil Laah for our daughter.

ENGLISH TEACHER:
I showed the letter to my friends who also had these negative perceptions about Islam I did and you wouldn’t believe it. They felt so ashamed of themselves and we have all decided to make photocopies of the letter and distribute it to people who are ignorant of Islam like us.

MMA SAFIA NURSE:
Allahu Akbar!

LAWYER MUSA:
Hmmm!

ENGLISH TEACHER:
(He opens his bag and brings out a paper) Here is the letter. I thought I should let you see it (He gives it to Lawyer Musa).

LAWYER MUSA:
(He stares at it for a while and shakes his head. He hands it over to his wife) Safia, please read it to us.

MMA SAFIA NURSE:
Hmmm! (She also stares at the paper and they become motionless as Fatimatu Zahra’s voice is heard in the background.)

FATIMATU ZAHRA:
Hello English Teacher,

Forgive me for my informality and for sending you an English Qur’an and other Islamic books in English. Please don’t throw them away. At least, finish reading this before you decide.

I always wonder and I keep asking myself, “Why does my English Teacher hate Islam so much?” I know you don’t hate me but you hate my Islam for if I wasn’t a Muslim, perhaps I would have been one of your most beloved students. This also makes me ask, “What does my English Teacher hate about Islam?” I never find answers to them because even at my age, I could tell that even if you are not a Muslim, you can’t help but admire Islam provided you know what it is.

I try hard day by day to find reasons not to hate you because you hated what I loved most. I tell myself, “Perhaps he doesn’t know Islam.” Then I tell myself again, “But why doesn’t he take the pain to find out instead of holding unto misconceptions?” Then I tell myself again, “Perhaps he never had the chance to know the real truth about Islam.” I battle within myself not to hate you even though you hated me and my Muslim brothers and sisters.

Indeed, I know and I believe that ignorance of anything in this century is unpardonable yet I try to give you the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes I want to ask, “Sir, please, is it because of the way Muslims worship that you hate us?” Then I imagine you say yes to this. Then in my dreams I try to explain that we do not worship any visible God and I feel like telling you the meanings of the things we say in all our acts of worship (She pauses and the Narrator enters quietly).

NARRATOR:
Subhaanal Laah! Subhaanal Laah! Subhaanal Laah! Glorified be Allah above all that is in the Heavens and the Earth. (To the audience) Did you hear what I heard? Did you understand? Do you believe she could have written all that? Subhaanal Laah! Such a blazing passion (She exits slowly and they come into motion. They all shake their heads in wonder).

MMA SAFIA NURSE:
Allahu Akbar! Allahu Akbar! Allahu Akbar!

LAWYER MUSA:
Laa ilaaha illal Laah!

ENGLISH TEACHER:
Hmmm! There is more so just pay attention (They become motionless and Fatimatu Zahra’s voice is heard from the background again).

FATIMATU ZAHRA:
I ask again, “Is it because of the way the females dress?” Then I want to tell you the essence of it. It is not to oppress me or any Muslim lady but to make us free women and to shield us from the illicit pleasures of men. I also feel like giving you reasons and prove that would more than convince you that indeed, a covered woman is far better than a nude woman.

The Muslim man and woman are equal in spirituality. I sometimes wonder how you understand the word Jihad and why you relate it to terrorism and holy wars and all the other bad things. Couldn’t you find out what Jihad meant to the Muslim?

I think about how you could paint polygamy in Islam so black. You make it look as if it is without rules and significance and I wish I could explain to you the logic behind it. Something you can never deny is very beneficial when played by the rules (She pauses and Kramo enters. He tries to make out where the voice is coming from and then he suddenly becomes motionless and Fatimatu Zahra’s voice is heard in the background again).

Oh Sir! I have so many things to say yet I keep asking myself, “Would my first word be read? Would he be patient enough to read up to the end? Well, I tell myself, “I can only try my best.” But if ever you are patient enough to read up to the end, I would plead with you to read the Qur’an and the other books and search for more information on Islam.

This is not to make you a Muslim but to make you understand Islam which would help in maintaining peace between and among us. The hatred would not lead us anywhere except to destruction.

I apologise if I did or said anything you didn’t like but what I know is that we can be different and still be at peace. Do not hate me because I do not want to hate you.

For nothing but peace!!!
Your humble student
Fatimatu Zahra Bint Musa (Kramo comes into motion).

KRAMO:
(Surprised) Who is talking? Is Fatimatu Zahra dead? Oh Master! You didn’t do well at all. You didn’t do well at all Master! (He sits on the floor and begins to cry)

LAWYER MUSA:
(Confused, he stares at Kramo) What’s going on Kramo? (He continues to cry)

MMA SAFIA NURSE:
(Also confused) Kramo, is there any problem?

KRAMO:
(He stands up and he removes a big napkin from his pocket. He begins to wipe his face) Master, you didn’t do well. You didn’t do well master. You didn’t tell me that Fatimatu has become a ghost (They all begin to laugh).

LAWYER MUSA:
Why do you think she has become a ghost?

KRAMO:
(He stares at them in surprise) Master and Master’s wife, why are you laughing? Don’t you know that your daughter is dead? (They continue to laugh)

MMA SAFIA NURSE:
You know what Kramo, I left you a sumptuous meal in the kitchen. Go and take care of yourself (Fatimatu Zahra enters).

FATIMATU ZAHRA:
(Walking towards Kramo excitedly) Where have you been Mr K?

KRAMO:
(He turns to the other side and strains his ears with his eyes wide opened) Master! (He goes to put his hand on Lawyer Musa’s shoulder) Master! Can’t you hear what I am hearing?

FATIMATU ZAHRA:
(Confused) Mr K, sweet cousin wants to eat your food.

KRAMO:
(He begins to run out) My food! My food! (He exits and they all laugh)

No comments: